Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Comelec Chair Bautista resigns

BY THE MANILA TIMES   
ON OCTOBER 11, 2017

COMMISSION on Elections Chairman Andres Bautista has resigned although he would be staying until yearend.

Bautista himself made the announcement in a post on his twitter account @ChairAndyBau on Wednesday.

"It is with deep sadness that I am informing you about my decision to resign as Chair of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) by the end of the year,” said Bautista in a signed letter addressed to “My Comelec family” dated today.

"After much prayer and discernment. I believe that this is the right time to step down given the postponement of the Barangay and SK elections,” said Bautista, referring to President Rodrigo Duterte’s approval of a law moving the village and Sangguniang Kabataan or youth polls from October 23, 2017 to May 14, 2018.

Bautista said that his decision was “not easy” but that “my family, especially my children need me now more than ever.”|

Bautista’s resignation comes amid allegations of hidden wealth by his estranged wife Patricia.

This became the basis of an impeachment complaint against Bautista that the committee on justice of the House of Representatives dismissed on September 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment

VOTERS' PLEDGE

I am a Responsible and Principled Citizen.

I will educate myself and others about the issues at hand so that my vote is a meaningful and relevant exercise of my right of suffrage.

I pledge to vote for candidates who will abide by the duly constituted rules on campaigning because I understand that those who refuse to obey the law in the little things are not likely to obey the law in the more important things;

I pledge to vote for candidates who, by word and action, renounce violence, coercion, vote-buying, and corruption as means for getting elected;

I pledge to vote for the candidates who listen to their constituents and are responsive to the needs and aspirations of those they seek to represent;

I pledge to vote as my conscience dictates in all elections.

I make these promises freely and upon my honor.

(This Voter Pledge was read at the Unity Walk of 13 January 2013, by COMELEC Commissioner Elias R. Yusoph)

SOURCE: NAMFREL